HHS Hour of Code: 12/10/21

Rufus T. Firefly, Staff Writer

What are over 100 million students in our nation (and around the world) doing December 6-12, and on Friday, December 10 here at Hawthorne High School?

These students (including yourself!) will be participating in the Hour of Code.

The Hour of Code, as defined on the website hourofcode.com, is “a one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify “code”, to show that anybody can learn the basics, and to broaden participation in the field of computer science.”

The website goes on to explain, “…It has since become a worldwide effort to celebrate computer science, starting with 1-hour coding activities but expanding to all sorts of community efforts.”

The Hour of Code takes place every year during Computer Science Education Week, an annual event celebrating the birthday (December 9, 1906) of Admiral Grace Murray Hopper, who was a computing pioneer.

Hadi Partovi, founder and CEO of Code.org, put it best when he said, “The Hour of Code is designed to demystify code and show that computer science is not rocket science—anybody can learn the basics…Over 100 million students worldwide have tried an Hour of Code. The demand for relevant 21st-century computer science education crosses all borders and knows no boundaries.”

The HHS Hour of Code will be this Friday, December 10…that is Period 2, on an R1 day. Signing up for the event can be done by scanning the QR Code that appears on the Hour of Code flyers found throughout the building.

Sign up and have fun! Happy coding!!