Boys Soccer 1975: HHS

Taylor Peters, Staff Writer

There are many things we still don’t know about the history of Hawthorne High School. If you think about it, we are all walking through the very halls that people decades ago walked through. Life was just different overall with the dress code, lack of sports, and so forth.

For example, boys’ soccer here at HHS came to an end because of World War II and it didn’t come back until many years later, even after the war ended.

In 1975 a student went to this school that we all know as our teacher or coach today, Mr. Gus Schell. Mr. Schell had played football for two years until in his junior year he took action in asking for a soccer team. He asked the athletic director/history teacher at Hawthorne High school, Paul Maceo and was told to have 25 people write down their signatures to be on the team. 

Mr. Schell´s family belonged to a soccer club and he played the sport from a very young age. In his junior year a boy’s soccer team was introduced once again, with games being played and practices occurring down at Goffle Park Park.

Mr. Schell explained that everyone was very supportive of the soccer team, especially the football team who went to most of the games.

Mr. Schell is now the soccer coach for the girls soccer team, which he has been doing for a very long time. One day the sport was almost completely forgotten about and the next, signatures were being signed to start a new team after years without one.

There are always going to be memories that stick with this school forever, and this story, is one of them.