What Would YOU Do as Principal of HHS ? (Teacher Edition)

Sophia Utvik, Editor

The Clarion has asked some teachers here at Hawthorne High School the question, ¨If you were the principal of Hawthorne High, what would you do ?¨ 

Here are their responses:

Mrs. Fadden: I would restore academic integrity to HHS and reward good attendance. I would eliminate the “No Zero” policy; it’s my opinion that grades/points should only be given when work is submitted.  I would also eliminate quarterlies and go to a midterm and final’s schedule.  With midterms and finals, I would create an exemption policy tied to attendance/lates and academic performance.  If a student has less than 3 absences and/or lates combined for the first two marking periods and an 85% or higher for both marking periods I would allow them to be exempt for the midterm.  If a student has less than 3 absences and/or lates combined for the third and fourth marking periods and an 85% or higher for both marking periods I would allow them to be exempt for the final exam.

Mrs. Hawruk: I would give us extra time in between classes ! I would love this, I have juvenile fibromyalgia which causes a lot of pain while walking. 

Mrs. Gerdes: I would bring back extracurricular events/activities like the Speedball Tournament and Volleyball Tournament and add after school intramurals/open gym! The second one is just a dream:  Either a 4-day school week or 1/2 day Fridays!

Mrs. Fusaro: I wouldn’t want to be a principal at all!

Mr. VanWinkle: I would get rid of cell phones during the entire school day….they are truthfully destroying our kids and education. 

Mrs. Russo: I would bring a fountain to the courtyard and give us a rooftop pool!

Personally, If I were principal, I’d definitely change some things. School starting at 8:10 during the beginning of quarantine was really nice, so I´d bring that back. It would also be nice if the periods (including lunch), were all the same amount of time, so perhaps 48 minutes per period with 4 minutes between each. It should definitely be allowed, even without a pass, to come to class a few minutes late because we now have lines in front of the bathrooms. I’m not really sure what else I would do. 

Now, feel free to comment, what would YOU do ?