The National Honors Society Induction Ceremony

Marifel Miguel, Chief Editor

The National Honors Society Induction Ceremony was held on Thursday, April 7, 2022 to officially induct the new members of the Hawthorne High School chapter of The National Honors Society.

The National Honors Society is “the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS and NJHS serve to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character.”

To be eligible to apply for NHS you have to have a required weighted grade average of 93.0 or higher to be considered. If eligible towards the middle of your junior year HHS’s NHS advisor Mr. McMann will give you a letter letting you know that you are eligible to apply. If you decide to apply you will be given an application with a strict deadline and be given a decision a few weeks after submitting your application.

This year 34 outstanding juniors were inducted into this prestigious group.

Similar to the World Induction Ceremony, this ceremony has not been held since the class of 2020 was inducted in 2019 and since then Class of 2021 and 2022 held their ceremonies virtually. A few days before the ceremony the juniors were to come to the auditorium to practice walking on stage, standing up, sitting down, and receiving their certificate. Mr.McMann and a few current NHS members were there to assist at the practices.

On the day of the ceremony, despite the rainy weather, everything went according to plan. The room was filled with many proud parents who were eager to see their children be inducted.

The ceremony started with the juniors walking in and walking on stage to their seats with some of our HHS band members playing music. Speeches were made by our superintendent Mr. Richard Spirito and Board Of Education President Ms.Abigail Goff. Then to speak about the different characteristics of the NHS were the current NHS officers, President Turner Marks, Vice-President Alison Perini, Secretary: Ruby Conroy, and Treasurer: Gabriela Aliano. They each spoke about the key components of the NHS which are Keystone, Scholarship, Character, Leadership, and Service.

Before receiving their certificates the current and new NHS members led by NHS President Turner Marks recited the pledge afterward each junior walked down the stage to receive their certificates by our Principal Mr.DeMaio who closed the ceremony with some ending remarks. After the ceremony, everyone was invited to the cafeteria to enjoy some refreshments and take photos.

The Clarion would like to congratulate all of the new inductees on this great accomplishment as well as thank Mr. McMann and any of the current NHS members who helped in planning this event. Hopefully, next year’s ceremony will be just as successful!