HHS: New Supervisors

Brynn Ashleigh, Staff Writer

As the 2022-2023 school year draws closer to our wondrous holiday break, we here at The Clarion thought it would be a great time to interview Hawthorne High School’s new supervisors: Ms. Bonnie Aschenbrand, Supervisor of Math and Science, and Ms. Ashley Smith, Supervisor of Humanities.

Interview: Ms. Aschenbrand

The Clarion: What made you want to be a supervisor?

Ms. Aschenbrand: I wanted to be a supervisor because I felt like this was the one way that I personally could make the biggest impact on student education. I was a teacher who was always trying to grow and make sure I was adapting my lessons and my methods of teaching so that I was reaching as many students as possible. In this role, I see myself as being a coach and mentor to the HHS teachers so that they can continue to have awesome and engaging lessons that inspire our students,

The Clarion: Did you work anywhere else before HHS? Do you enjoy working for Hawthorne High School so far?

Ms. Aschenbrand: I have been teaching since I graduated from the University of Delaware in 2013.  My first three years teaching were in Rutherford.  Since 2016, I have worked at the Lincoln Middle School, teaching 7th and 8th grade math, so Hawthorne has been my home for some time now. While Hawthorne High School is new to me, what has been the best part of now working at HHS is seeing so many familiar faces from the past.  It’s amazing to see how much everyone has grown up and I have loved getting a chance to reconnect with my former students now in this new role.

The Clarion: If you weren’t a supervisor, what would you be?

Ms. Aschenbrand: There is definitely no other job that I would like to have.  For me, I have achieved the dream job. However, my other job title that I take very seriously and get tremendous joy out of is being a mom to my two girls (Maya, 3 and Dani, 1).

The Clarion: What are your goals for the school?

Ms. Aschenbrand: My goal for HHS is to develop a learning environment in which students are curious and wonder about math and science.  I would love to see students graduating from HHS interested in studying or working in fields relating to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math!

Interview: Ms. Smith

Ms. Smith: I absolutely loved teaching; yet, a conversation with a former principal of mine made me realize a way I could expand my impact even further by helping and supporting educators (who, in turn, would be changing the lives of their students). I also am extremely passionate about my content, and enjoy sharing strategies for engaging lessons, quality writing assignments, and authentic novel experiences.

The Clarion: Do you enjoy working for Hawthorne High School so far?

Ms. Smith: I’ve definitely enjoyed working for HHS thus far. Our Humanities department (ELA and SS) embodies so many fun personalities — they’re a joy to work with. The tight-knit Hawthorne community is special. I’m working with teachers and administrators who were students here, who taught here, who live in town, whose kids go here, etc. They’re invested in the school’s success and truly know their students. As a newcomer, I’ve appreciated how warm and welcoming everyone has been.

The Clarion: Did you work anywhere else before HHS?

Ms. Smith: Before arriving at HHS, I taught at Glen Rock High School, practically next door. It also was a smaller community with town pride. I will value the connections I made with students, staff, and parents there forever. I wouldn’t be the teacher I became had I not begun my career in education there. They were extremely supportive of my professional growth.

Ms. Smith: I have quite a few answers to this question…I seriously considered law school at one point, and still believe I would have made a solid criminal or patent attorney. I also love to travel, and enjoy planning trips – perhaps a travel agent! The dream, though, would be a food critic. Eating for a living…what a concept.

Ms. Smith: This year our department will focus on improving the quality of writing instruction and examining the various ways to incorporate differentiation into creative lessons. Currently, the senior teachers and I are developing the Senior Research Paper, which will be a culminating assessment that wraps up students’ HHS ELA careers.

In Social Studies, we’re working to incorporate DBQ online lessons and assessments to have students practice developing arguments using evidentiary support. Overall, I strive to foster an environment within my department that encourages collaboration and exchanging of ideas. We have so much to learn from each other and embody a variety of different strengths, so I hope to create as many opportunities as possible for teachers to share their classroom success stories.