Junior Year: A Year in Review

Kerianne O'Gara, Editor

They say junior year is the hardest, and between preparing for college, being introduced to higher-level classes, and the bombardment of testing the state and school threw at us, it was definitely a roller coaster of a year. But it was not for nothing, and looking back I would say that this year taught me the most during my high school career, and really helped me grow as a person.

For one thing, I learned how to step out of my comfort zone. As the only returning member of the varsity tennis team and with the absence of any seniors, I was made captain, which was something I wasn’t expecting, and wouldn’t have necessarily chosen for myself as only a junior and someone who doesn’t always prefer to be in charge. However, that opportunity did help me develop my leadership skills, and I feel more prepared to return as captain next year.

This year I pushed myself more than any other year academically. It was the first year that I took AP classes, with the addition of honors classes, which proved to be a challenge, but it was also nothing I couldn’t handle. I feel confident in how I performed in all of my classes, and also in my performance on my AP exams.

I also improved a lot of skills in the classes I took this year, most notably my writing and presentational speaking skills. Taking AP classes and the SATs also helped me improve my study habits a lot, which is something that I was determined to work on this year.

This year I became more involved in my community, and truly learned how much I enjoy volunteer work and helping out in my town. Becoming a member of National Honors Society gave me several opportunities to do this in just a few months, and I look forward to being an active member next year as well.

Both in and out of school, I learned how to properly manage my time. Between homework, studying, working, and spending time with family and friends, I had very little time to accomplish everything I might have wanted to, but I still made it work. I tried my best to keep a balanced work and home life schedule, while also making sure I left time to complete all my assignments and study for any upcoming quizzes or tests. Being able to step back and take a break when I knew I was all caught up really helped alleviate some of the stress I felt and permitted me to still enjoy myself during one of my last years in high school.

I am proud of myself for getting through this year, which has so far been my most challenging one in high school, and while I am relieved for it to be over, I am confident that it has prepared me for whatever challenges next year may bring.