A Look Into Freshman Year

Its Tough...Surviving Freshmen Year
User
It’s Tough…Surviving Freshmen Year

Freshman year brings new classes, new people, new rules and routines, and of course, new expectations. It’s a big transition from middle school to high school.

The Clarion interviewed some HHS freshmen asking them each one of the following questions: “How do you like the start of the year so far?”, “Is there anything you would like to change about the year?”, and “Is there anything you wish you had known before the school year started?”

Responses to these questions could help staff and upperclassmen, who are curious about how freshman year is in 2023, have a better understanding of it.

This could also be beneficial to peers and staff to get input from freshmen, so that they could help make their school year better.

First, we asked freshman, Kaitlyn Neeb, “How do you like the start of the year so far?”

She said, “I think the year is going pretty good so far, but it is hard to balance.” We then asked her, “Why is this school year hard to balance?” She responded with, “It’s hard to balance out school work while being a part of the high school volleyball team and honors classes.” As you can see, this is a big adjustment for Kaitlyn.

Next we asked another freshman, Ana Sancho, “Is there anything you would like to change about the year?”

She said, “Yes, the lunch lines.” We then asked her, “Why is that?” She answered back with, “Everytime I have class on the third floor and need to go to lunch, by the time I get there with the cafeteria being on the first floor, I am always one of the last people in line for lunch.” This must be hard and frustrating for Ana since she just wants to get her lunch and talk to her friends.

Lastly we asked, freshman, Joey Cannone, “Is there anything you would like to change about the year?”

He responded back with, “Yes, I wish I knew the schedule wasn’t so hard to figure out.” We asked “Why?” He then said, “Since the drop rotation causes my schedule to change everyday, it gets confusing knowing which class I have next and which classes I don’t have for the day.” For Joey, this must be very confusing and hard for him.

Overall, it seems like freshman year is off to a great start, but as with everything else in life, there are a few, varying struggles.

Lauren Iannacone, Staff Writer
Hi! I'm Lauren, a staff writer and freshman here at Hawthorne High School. I hope to contribute many articles to the Clarion, as a first time writer for the school newspaper. I play softball and soccer and enjoy spending time with my friends and listening to music. I hope my articles spark your interest!