HHS Theater Production Preview

Anne
Anne

The Hawthorne High School Theater Department is back for the 2023-24 school year!

Starting off this year is the fall play of Anne of Green Gables. The story takes place in the fictional town of Avonlea, on Prince Edward Island in Canada. It follows the title character Anne Shirley, who is an 11 year old orphan girl. She is sent by her orphanage to the farm of siblings Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. The catch is, Matthew and Marilla were expecting a boy, willing to help out on their farm. Throughout the show, Anne has to learn how to navigate life outside the orphanage, from making friends, to learning proper manners, and everything in between. 

For Hawthorne’s specific production, the cast list was just announced! The three leads are sophomores Jordan Somma and Natalie Wolfe, and junior Colin Huffman. As rehearsals start to get underway, The Clarion was lucky enough to interview these 3 amazing actors.

The Clarion: What role are you playing, and how would you describe the character?

Jordan: I’m playing the role of Anne Shirley! I would describe the character as imaginative, yet intelligent. She can be stubborn at points, which can be her demise, but she’s still a very unique and fun character to portray!

Natalie: Marilla Cuthbert. She can be very negative, but uses sarcasm often. While she can be negative she is very kind to Anne and makes it known she cares for her over time.

Colin: The character I’m playing is Matthew. He is a shy man much later into his adult years that also has a heart issue. Although he has a heart issue, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a big heart and cares for others.

The Clarion: How do you feel about taking on such a big role?

Jordan:  I’ve done theater for years, but being the lead is a big step up and a big responsibility. Even though I’m nervous about taking on such a big role, I’m extremely excited to do so!

Natalie: I am somewhat nervous, yet very excited. I’ve never had a role like this one before and I am looking forward to bringing the character to life on the stage.

Colin: To be honest, I’m a little nervous about taking on this role, especially because I’ve never played a character like Matthew before. However, I’m up for the challenge and being nervous shows that I care…so I know I got this.

The Clarion: Even though it is early in the rehearsal process, what is one thing you want audiences to know about this show?

Jordan: Even though it is early in the rehearsal process, one thing that I want audiences to know about the show is how Anne’s strange traits will enrapture the hearts of the other characters and, soon, the audience themselves!

Natalie: The show is very sentimental, it’s about an orphan being accepted into her new family as she grows up. I think I can speak for the whole cast and crew when I say that we are all looking forward to putting on this show and can’t wait for show week!

Colin: One thing I want the audiences to know about the show is that it’s a lively show about a small town of closely knit people, with a lot of comedy sprinkled in. Even when we read the script as a cast together we shared many laughs and know that the people will have a great time watching the show.

As you can see, this production is going to be amazing, not just because of these three actors, but everybody in the cast and crew! Be sure to come see Hawthorne High School’s production of Anne of Green Gables from December 1-3, you will not regret it!

About the Contributor
Hey! My name is Jillian Wesseldyke, and I am a junior here at HHS. This is my second year writing for the Clarion, and my first year being an editor. I love  Broadway, and theater in general, listening to music, and hanging out with my friends. Outside of writing, I am involved in theater here at HHS. I am really excited for another good year of writing articles for all of you to enjoy!