Our Superhero: Mrs. DiGeronimo

Mrs.+DiGeronimo
Mrs. DiGeronimo

Our librarian, Mrs. Theresa DiGeronimo, was nominated by the Hawthorne Board of Education under the Librarian Media Specialist category for New Jersey School Board Association’s Unsung Superhero in Education. I sat down with Mrs. DiGeronimo and got the insight on this outstanding award. Why did she receive this? Who nominated her? 

The Clarion: What is the award that you received this year?

Mrs. DiGeronimo: I received the New Jersey School Board Association’s Unsung Superhero in Education/Library Media Specialist category.

The Clarion: Why did you receive the award?

Mrs. DiGeronimo: First, I was nominated for the award by the Hawthorne Board of Education. Then, apparently, the award committee of the NJ School Board Association felt that my work in the HHS library stood out as the best in New Jersey. 

The Clarion: What made you qualified for this award?

Mrs. DiGeronimo: Being a NJ certified librarian.

The Clarion: What does it mean to you?

Mrs. DiGeronimo: It means everything to have the Hawthorne School District recognize and acknowledge the work that I do in the library here at HHS. 

The Clarion: What difference did it make in your career?

Mrs. DiGeronimo: This award does not change anything in my career. I will still be in the high school library everyday doing my best to serve our students and teachers. 

The Clarion: Who is your biggest motivator? Who would you like to thank?

Mrs. DiGeronimo: First, I would like to thank the Hawthorne BOE for nominating me. Then, I would like to thank Superintendent Spirito, Principal Pfister, and Assistant Principals Pasquale and Mazzacca for supporting me and the HHS library program. Of course, I would like to thank all of our students who make my job in the library the best job in the world. As far as my biggest motivator, I’d have to say that person is former principal Barry Cohen. Ten years ago he had the vision of what a library could be and he trusted me to make that happen. I am grateful for the opportunity he gave me and work every day to fulfill his dream. 

On behalf of the student body, congratulations Mrs. Di Geronimo!                                            

Sara Saleh, Staff Writer
Hi there! My name is Sara Saleh and I'm currently a senior here at HHS. I am looking forward to sharing my stories here. I adore reading, watching movies, coffee and hanging out with friends. My dream is to get my PHD in Psychology and open up my own practice. I hope you enjoy reading my articles!