Behind the Scenes of a Play Production (Part 2)

slimmer_jimmer
Stage Door…Back Stage

In my last article, I gave all of you a background on the basics of what the crew does behind the scenes of a play production. This time around, I figured I would give a personal account of what I specifically do in the production of Anne of Green Gables. 

My role in this play was the Stage Manager (refer to my last article for the basics on the responsibilities of the stage manager). Throughout the rehearsal process I served more as a helping hand wherever people needed me. From a cast standpoint, they came to me with any questions they had, or if they needed anything from me prop wise.

With the crew, while I did have a managerial position, I was really just doing anything that was needed, whether that be painting, or finding different nails to put together parts of sets, and just odd jobs. Construction and set design isn’t my forte, so I definitely took the backseat and let other people take charge with what they are good at. 

Of course, rehearsals are a time for hard work and everyone is dedicated to what we are doing, but there is a lot of fun that goes on as well. Seeing as this is my third year being involved in theater, I am very close with all of the returning members of the cast and crew. It is so easy to make friends with all of the new faces as well.

Building relationships with everyone was so important for the position I was in, and doing so made everything so much easier. In between scenes and working, we would be joking around with each other, and making memories that I will never forget. Even after rehearsals were over, at 10 pm, and we were very tired, we would still want to stay at school and have fun with each other. On a daily basis, the directors would have to tell us to go home because it would be 10:30 and we were nowhere near ready to leave (sorry Ronnie and Graber). 

All this fun and hard work made for a highly successful tech week and show weekend. Even though the days are extremely long, and it is exhausting on every front, it was so unbelievably worth it. 

As the stage manager, I made it a specific point to get to rehearsals early and help everything on stage to get set up. I also made sure everybody’s props were in place so nobody would be scrambling to find what they needed 30 seconds before they had to be on stage. I tried my very best to make it as easy as possible for cast members so they didn’t have to think about anything other than what they were doing on stage. That also included giving some people extra reminders of little things, and fielding any notes from the directors to help improve the performance. 

Of course, I am only one person and nothing I just listed would be possible without the rest of the backstage crew handling mic changes, costume mishaps, and any other problems that would arise. It was very stressful for all of us since at some points in the show there was a lot that happened at once, but I am extremely proud of the way we all handled it, and of course that it all worked out in the end. 

In conclusion, as the Stage Manager, there was a lot that I had to juggle all at once because I was the one responsible for the wellbeing of every person backstage, and making sure that everything went smoothly with the show. I’d be lying if I said that the stress didn’t get to me at many points, but the encouragement and support I got from everyone in the cast and crew was amazing.

Theater is truly a family, and there is no other group of people, or activity that I would want to put in this much work for, and spend a whole week with. Anne of Green Gables was truly and unforgettable experience, and I am honored that I got to be the Stage Manager for this show. Even though this show has just finished and I am still getting all my sleep back, I cannot wait to do it all over again this spring for Mamma Mia!

About the Contributor
Hey! My name is Jillian Wesseldyke, and I am a junior here at HHS. This is my second year writing for the Clarion, and my first year being an editor. I love  Broadway, and theater in general, listening to music, and hanging out with my friends. Outside of writing, I am involved in theater here at HHS. I am really excited for another good year of writing articles for all of you to enjoy!