National Honor Society: Explained

NHS
NHS

The time of National Honor Society inductions is upon us at Hawthorne High School! As an applicant for the National Honor Society myself, I know from personal experience, and knowledge from my friends, that the process was very ominous, so hopefully explaining it a little bit more will create less anxiety and confusion for future students.

First, the National Honor Society is an organization that recognizes teenagers all around the country for their hard work throughout high school. When people say that every second of high school matters, they mean it. From the second a student walks into high school they are immediately in the running to be in their school’s chapter (or class) of the National Honor Society. The organization has four main pillars: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Focusing on these four attributes ensures that every student chosen is a well rounded, good natured individual. 

The first round of selection occurs when grades are considered. All students must have a cumulative grade point average of 85 or higher all throughout high school up to the point of consideration. At HHS, if a student meets that requirement, they will receive a letter in school from NHS advisor, Mr. McMann. In the letter, it basically states that that student has met the first pillar requirement: scholarship. From there, that student would be informed of a meeting with all of the other potential applicants, to find out more about what the application will entail, and what the further steps are. 

My class had two weeks to fill out the application, which was a good amount of time to get everything on the application done, especially considering how much goes into it. A student has to list and source everything they have participated in, both inside and outside of school. If in school, a list of advisors or teachers involved in all your activities needs to be written so the selection committee can do an extra check on your involvement.

If the activities are outside of school, a letter from the supervisor, or just someone credible who was there needs to be written, to prove that the student actually did participate in that said activity. There is another box in this section where students can provide information on whether they were leaders in these activities as well.

On top of extracurricular activities, the student must outline all that they have done for service, and the same lists and letters must be made. Another part of the application is teacher recommendations. Every student needs at least three recommendations from different teachers attesting to their character inside of the classroom.

Finally, an essay with a maximum of 250 words is written. This essay outlines what each student thinks they can offer to the further development and continuation of the National Honor Society. Overall, it looks like it is a lot to do, but it is not that difficult.

The application basically covers the other three aforementioned pillars: service, leadership, and character. Of course, everything is double checked by the selection committee, and administration, including a check on school disciplinary records, to ensure each applicant has not gotten into big trouble before. 

Within the application, the rubrics for how the students are evaluated is included. Across the 3 categories, the student needs at least 9 points to be considered. It is important to note that if there are special circumstances at home, or just in the student’s personal life, there is a place to specify that they have had other responsibilities that would keep them from participating extensively in service, or other activities.

Also, it is highly emphasized that none of the students are put up against each other. Every application is looked at as an individual entity, and the only reason a student gets in is because they put in the hard work throughout high school. The number of students in the National Honor Society changes every year, and there is no limit to how many people can be in. This ensures that everyone who is deserving of the honor gets fairly recognized for their work.

After the second and final selection, all students chosen get another letter from Mr. McMann saying that they got in, and that there is another meeting to attend, this time about the induction. The induction includes a few speeches, and all students receiving an NHS pin that they will wear at graduation. This is a time where the students for the first time, get regarded and recognized as a member of this highly prestigious organization, and is a huge honor. 

Hopefully this clears up some of the mystery behind what actually happens with the National Honor Society! This year’s induction ceremony is taking place on March 28, at 7 pm, in the school’s auditorium. 

Hey! My name is Jillian Wesseldyke, and I am a junior here at HHS. This is my second year writing for the Clarion, and my first year being an editor. I love  Broadway, and theater in general, listening to music, and hanging out with my friends. Outside of writing, I am involved in theater here at HHS. I am really excited for another good year of writing articles for all of you to enjoy!