The Great Debate: Obama vs. Romney

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 the United States will elect its next president. In late September, it was a close race between the two candidates. Republican Mitt Romney was ahead of Democrat Barack Obama 47% to 45%. Obama, however, was, at that time, leading in the Electoral College race with 323 votes to 206 votes.

Barack Obama, the winner of the 2008 presidential election, made history by being the first African-American to be elected president. He, however, cannot rely on the younger voters during this election, as he did during his first election. President Obama is being outspent in this election. According to The Associated Press, he was at Boulder, Colorado on September 23rd delivering a speech to a college crowd when he stated: “The other side is going to spend more money than we’ve ever seen in our lives, with an avalanche of attack ads and insults and making stuff up, just making stuff up.” Reports indicate that Obama is focusing on the middle class to receive votes. 

Mitt Romney was elected the 70th governor of Massachusetts in 2002. He tried for Republican presidential nomination in 2008 but lost to John McCain. His political views are dramatically different than Obama’s. While Obama supports same sex marriage, Romney opposes it. “His strength as a businessman is an advantage in an election dominated by economic discussions,” reported The New York Times. Romney is at a decisive disadvantage against Obama during this election due to the fact that Obama still has the support of many of the people who voted for him during the 2008 presidential election.

Although both candidates promise great things such as tax cuts and “foolproof” ways to help the economy, they can’t keep every promise they make. However, both candidates, have something to offer citizens of the U.S. Obama is trying to improve children’s health by passing a new law, which makes school lunches healthier. Romney is a business man, which would put him in a great position to help the economy.

Despite who one may think is best fit to be president, we must all wait until the final decision is made by the citizens of America.