Day of Silent Solidarity

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

Every year on the third Tuesday of October, the Day of Silent Solidarity is observed world-wide by pro-life organizations and individuals who oppose abortion. The movement’s mission is to spread awareness on the growing topic of abortion. Abortion as defined by Oxford Dictionary is the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy. Others define it as murder.

This year the day was observed on October 20th.  Thousands wore red duct tape across their mouths with the words “life” or “silenced” written boldly on it. Duct tape is worn to symbolize the lives being terminated that cannot defend and speak up for themselves. The individuals keep silent throughout the entire day. If asked by anyone why they are not talking, they simply hand a flyer explaining the pro-life perspective.

Thousands are not only bearing red across their mouths and wearing red, but many mothers have rethought their decisions to get an abortion. Many have cancelled their appointments and figured out ways to keep the life they are carrying.

What began as a group of students attempting to share their opinions has now become a world-wide day of silence to protect the lives that cannot fight for themselves.