Michelle Obama’s Anti-Obesity Campaign: Is It Working?

In the mid-1800s, being overweight or even obese was a good thing; it was a sign that you were rich and had enough money to feed yourself. Nowadays,though, obesity is something that’s not viewed as a good thing at all.

Michelle Obama is a big supporter of the fight against obesity, not only in children but in adults as well. “The physical and emotional health of an entire generation and the economic health and security of our nation is at stake,” said First Lady Obama at the Let’s Move! launch on February 9, 2010.

Let’s Move! is an organization started by the First Lady to help make people aware of the obesity problem in the United States and help provide tips to stay active and keep weight under control.

The big question on everyone’s mind is this: “Is Michelle Obama’s Anti-Obesity Campaign helping America?” Some say yes and some say no. If I were an eight-year-old watching Disney Channel after school, and I saw all the kids having fun playing outside in the commercials that feature Michelle Obama, I would be tempted to go outside and try being active. Being a teenager though, Michelle Obama’s campaign does not affect me. Sure, everyone hears about the campaign because it’s a very talked-about subject, but it does not directly relate to me. I’m not watching the Disney Channel everyday to see these commercials, and Michelle Obama visits a lot of elementary schools but not so many high schools. I feel it’s affecting the younger generation more so than the older.

“While some complaints have merits on the margins, the First Lady’s efforts have been mostly reasonable and well-grounded,” said writer for the Star Tribune, Jeff Stier.

The First Lady’s campaign is directed towards the younger generation but according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than one-third of adults in the United States are obese. I believe that Michelle Obama’s campaign to have a healthier country could be working better than it is if she were to target obese teens and adults.