New Guidelines for Midterm and Final Exemptions

Starting in the 2013-2014 school year, many changes were made in the student exemption policy for midterms and finals. These changes seem very controversial among students; however, I ultimately believe they will be beneficial in the long run.

In past years, seniors had the privilege of being exempt from final exams in June only. If a student received a 90 average in a class and a 90 or above on the midterm, the student was exempt from the final exam for that class.

However, this year the rules have been altered. In contrast to prior years, juniors as well as seniors have the opportunity to be exempt from exams. In addition, students can also be exempt from their midterm exams as well.

The guidelines for mid-term exam exemption in January require the student to earn an average of 90 or above for the first two marking periods and earn an average of 90 or above for the second marking period.

To be exempt from the final exam in June, the student must earn an average of 90 or above for the third and fourth marking periods and earn an average of 90 or above for the fourth marking period.

HHS principal, Barry Cohen, said that the main reasons for the changes are to give more students an opportunity to be exempt and to help motivate more students to be successful. He said, “It gives students the incentive to do well. Juniors will work harder when they have something to work for.”

Cohen also said that these changes will increase learning, motivation, time management skills, and will help prepare students for college.

Students seem to have varied opinions on these changes, especially depending on grade level. HHS Senior Jessica Terrizzi commented, “I think it is extremely unfair that juniors now have the opportunity to be exempt. All of the seniors had to wait until their senior year, and it should stay that way. I believe this should be a senior privilege only.”

Samantha Contrini, another HHS senior, agreed with Terrizzi saying, “It’s a good, nice addition to the school, but it’s also unfair to the seniors.”

On the other hand, HHS Junior Jenna Grimaldi said, “I think that it’s a good idea because it encourages the juniors to get better grades.”

Although some students, mainly seniors, believe that these changes are unfair, they will ultimately be beneficial to students. These new guidelines will create a new enthusiasm and motivation for students to do well. As a result of juniors having the ability to be exempt from exams as well, their grades will most likely go up due to the inspiration of becoming exempt. In essence, these new changes to midterm and final exemptions may seem unfair now, but in the end will have a very beneficial effect on students.