The Ethics of DNA Sequencing

With the pervasiveness of technology growing at a relentless speed, many ethical questions may arise. One example of such controversial technology is DNA sequencing. Although it does have its advantages, there are also many concerns over its use. It is because of these concerns that the government is considering putting laws in place to protect the public when it comes to DNA sequencing.

According to The Wall Street Journal, DNA sequencing is when scientists “identify the sequence of the 3 billion chemical building blocks that make up a person’s DNA.” This allows doctors to determine information from a patient’s ancestry or their risk for certain diseases. DNASequencing.com says that future advancements in human knowledge of DNA may also stem from DNA sequencing research. These advancements can lead to the ability to better solve crimes with DNA or to map out someone’s appearance without ever having to lay eyes on that person. Another advantage is that this new technology would allow for the quick processing of DNA with a cost of around $1,000, according to YourGenome.org. The low price and speed of the process are two more advantages to DNA sequencing, as it would make it more readily available to the general public.

Nonetheless, there are still some concerns about DNA decoding. According to Genomics.Energy.gov, these include questions over who has access to someone’s genetic information, how one’s genetic information would affect society’s perception of that person, if genes have the ability to change a person’s behavior, and where the line is between medical treatment and enhancement.

All of these issues make it difficult to determine what is correct for each individual person. It is my opinion that it is up to each person to decide for him- or herself whether or not to have DNA sequenced. There shouldn’t be federal or local laws governing DNA sequencing, as it can have serious effects on someone’s life. Freedom of choice is something that everyone wants, especially in America, a country that was started because of people wanting more freedoms. Thus, laws that control DNA sequencing shouldn’t be put into place because they would infringe on the people’s right to choose for themselves in an aspect of life that is very personal.