Carnation Nation

Red, white, or pink?  This was the question going through every student’s head in Hawthorne High School who was participating in the annual carnation sale for Valentine’s Day.  Personally, I find this idea to be successful and a fun experience for Hawthorne High School.

One carnation costs only $1, making it affordable for students.  Red represents love, pink represents like, and white represents friendship, according to junior at Hawthorne High School, Christina Pecoraro.  Pecoraro is one of the many juniors actively involved in the sale.  The money goes towards the junior class also.  Students get to select a color of the rose, write a message on a card attached to the rose, and send to another student or teacher.  On Valentine’s Day, the carnations are delivered to the homerooms and distributed to the anxious students.  If you have seen the movie Mean Girls, it is similar to the holiday candy cane sale, except it is for Valentine’s Day.

Hannah Dougan, a junior at Hawthorne High School supports the carnation sale.  She stated, “The sale raises money, it’s cheap, and it’s a cute gift idea.”   Senior Murad Elias said, “It’s a nice cost effective way for students who don’t have a job to get a Valentine’s Day gift.”  Alyson La Spisa, another senior, also thinks the sale is a smart idea.  She not only sent a lot of carnations, but also hoped to get many from not only friends but also secret admirers.

Also supporting this idea is junior, Marina Kaghado.  She said, “I think it’s a wonderful idea for students at HHS to show their passion towards loved ones and close friends.  It makes the students feel good about themselves for the loving holiday of Valentine’s Day!”  This seems to be a reoccurring thought among students at Hawthorne High School.  Senior Kris Kozlowski claims that the carnation sale is also a good way for people to feel special on Valentine’s Day.  “It gives hope to students out who might receive the carnation of their dreams,” Kozlowski said.  Although Kozlowski took a humorous outlook upon the subject, it was yet another positive opinion on the carnation sale.

Elias brought up an interesting point.  He said, “I believe the carnation sale is a good idea.  For the unconfident, it lets them express their feelings without the fear of repercussions, while for the confident can proudly display their affection.”  Students can choose to sign the card with their name or even anonymously if they are shy.  Senior Mahin Chowdhury feels it is good way to surprise someone and break the ice.

Some students even enjoy sending carnations to their friends from celebrities or other people that clearly do not go to Hawthorne High School.  For example, I know that senior Renee Buchanan might have received one from Nicki Minaj.  “I was honored to get a carnation from Nicki Minaj,” she said. “It’s nice to know a celebrity actually cares about me.”

From my own personal opinion and those of the students interviewed, it seems as if the carnation sale is a hit.  The sale is a good way for students to express themselves, have fun, and celebrate Valentine’s Day.  Students seem to enjoy the carnation sale and find it as a good idea that should continue to exist at Hawthorne High School.