SpongeBob SquarePants: Over the Hill?

When the television show first started on May 1, 1999, SpongeBob SquarePants was a highly anticipated and adored show that appealed to both children and adults. Now, in its ninth season, this childhood favorite of many may have lost the special spark that earned it so much praise and critical acclaim.

The show SpongeBob SquarePants stars a lovable yet dim-witted sea sponge named SpongeBob and his best friend, Patrick, a sea star. The duo goes on many endearing adventures with the other residents of Bikini Bottom, including many zany and eccentric characters such as Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Sandy Cheeks.

But what went wrong with this seemingly perfect show? After the third season, a SpongeBob movie premiered, which some people believe marked the end of the height of the show’s popularity. This is because, after the movie, the show’s producer and creator, Stephen Hillenburg, resigned, leaving Derek Drymon, along with a multitude of new writers, in charge. This is the start of what some say was the decline of SpongeBob SquarePants.

Some of these critics disapprove of how the show lost its clever and interesting plot lines in exchange for gruesome humor and childish jokes. For example, the article “Spongebob: Decline in Quality” mentions a scene in a particular episode in which SpongeBob gets a splinter that oozes green pus and swells to a tremendous size. According to the article, this is just one instance of the shocking body humor found in the newer episodes. Another point the article brings up is that the depiction of the characters has decreased in quality. For instance, in the older episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants, Squidward was seen as a cranky and grumpy character with a big heart deep down. Now, however, he is portrayed as more emotionless and hollow, with irritation and contempt being his main moods.

Although some say that SpongeBob SquarePants is still a great show, I am of the mindset that it is over the hill. It is time to face the facts that the show’s glory days are gone. Unless those in charge of the show can bring back the classic SpongeBob we all know and love, the once-popular show should be cancelled.