South Carolina Student Flipped From Chair

france24.com

The Horrific Incident

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

“You’re either going to come with me, or I’m going to make you.”

According to ktla.com, this is what Deputy Ben Fields said to a South Carolina student,  who was asked to remove herself from her seat or action would be taken to remove her. After refusal, the officer took the student and flipped her violently from her desk, slammed her into the ground, and proceeded to drag her several feet. Students in the classroom filmed this disturbing act on their cellphones and the nation is aghast.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time Ben Fields has used excessive force. As reported by cnn.com, in 2007, a couple sued Fields and two fellow officers for false arrest, excessive force, and violation of freedom of speech. For this victim, similar force was used. The suspect in the case involving “excessive noise” was similarly slammed to ground then cuffed, kicked, and soaked in mace.

In each case, the amount of harsh force was not necessary. A young high school student should not be harmed in school for simply staying in her seat when asked to stand. Schools are a place of safety and despite the student’s alleged disturbance in class, she did not deserve to be violently handled. There were other ways to handle the situation and avoid physical force. Due to the choice to be violently physical, Officer Ben Fields was fired.

In the news today we hear of violent acts brought upon by officers often.  Each time the reaction is disgust and disturbance. So why are these harmful acts still occurring?