Balancing Act: The Life of a HHS Student

Fazli Hida, Staff Writer

High school students take on more and more responsibilities as they grow up. They have to maintain jobs, personal relationships, and their overall physical health, but they also need to keep their grades up and participate in extracurricular activities in order to assure their place at the college of their choice.

So, how are students able to maintain good grades and their social lives? Which aspect of their life do they sacrifice to make more time for another?

When Alex DiFilippo was asked if he often finds himself overwhelmed, he answered, “Yes, I find myself overwhelmed quite often. I often find myself trying to keep myself from getting stressed while I get at least two tests/quizzes a week and tons of homework assignments. As far as extracurricular activities, they do take time away from studying and homework. Being involved in two shows at one time is an absolutely absurd task, and adding a job on top of it is insanity. I do, however rare it might be, find some time for myself.”

With Alex’s participation in two AP classes and two plays, among other activities, it’s mind blowing how he has time to relax.

Alex later directed this Clarion reporter to fellow classmate Emily Adair, who participates in three AP classes, volleyball and softball, and marching band. When asked the same question, she answered, “It depends on the night. Some nights I am packed with homework after coming home from my extracurricular activities. I only go home after volleyball two out of five school nights a week, because the other three nights require me to go from volleyball to marching band. On most Saturdays, I am unable to do my work because of volleyball and band, so that only leaves Sunday afternoons, since I have softball those mornings.”

She went on to explain how there are times where she feels extremely overwhelmed on some nights, but those are few and far between.

To simply put it, life for students in this high school and other high schools around the country, is clearly a balancing act. The more activities you want to participate in, means more practices and time spent here at HHS. However, can we blame students for trying to ensure their spot in the college they want by participating in all of these activities?

While we don’t blame them, we certainly should not do anything about it. These students still maintain their physical, social, and mental health well, along with taking the Honor Roll or higher every marking period. If you identify with these students questioned above and aren’t able to maintain your health, perhaps you should reconsider how you spend your time.