Uncommon Thanksgiving Traditions

A+Turkey
Stephen Philip Voght
A Turkey

If you’ve ever celebrated Thanksgiving, you’ve probably heard or done some of the ‘traditional’ festivities of the holiday: Having a feast, watching the parade, watching football, breaking the wishbone, etc. However, there are a plethora of different Thanksgiving traditions that aren’t quite as well known. Here are a few: 

Turkey Trot: A Turkey Trot is a simple fun run that takes place on Thanksgiving. The length of these mini-marathons can vary, but they are always lighthearted, and have no competitive nature to them. 

Turkey Bowling: This bizarre tradition, which typically takes place in a grocery store, uses a frozen turkey as a bowling ball, and plastic beverage bottles as bowling pins. It is played in both America, and Canada!

Turkey Toss: As the name suggests, this tradition features people throwing turkeys great distances, typically to see who can go the highest and/or farthest. Some even take it to the next level by lighting the bird on fire!

Friendsgiving: If hanging out with extended family all day isn’t your style, you can always host your very own Friendsgiving! It’s like regular Thanksgiving, but instead of aunts and uncles, it’s friends and besties!

Kendra Michel, Staff Writer
Hiya! My name is Kendra Michel and I am currently a sophomore here at HHS. This is my first time writing for the school newspaper, and I can't wait to write fun and interesting articles for you all! I like to spend my free time drawing, sewing, or just hanging out with my friends. I am also involved with the color guard in the HHS marching band.