Wallace Masiak: Class of ’69 and Going Strong

“Every day I tell people I’m going to school because it’s a new adventure every day,” said Wallace Masiak, social studies teacher at Hawthorne High School since December 10, 1973. He’s been teaching at HHS for 39 years! “I never say I have to go to work,” says Mr. Maaz (as he’s often called), “because work is something tedious that you have to do.”

Masiak has taught many subjects, such as United States History I, United States History II, World History, Afro-American History, Marriage and the Family, Current Events, You and the Law, and Sociology. He also taught the first Honors World History class in Hawthorne High School in the school year of 1974-75.

“During college, I worked for the US Postal service for four years, working with parcel post at night from September to June,” Masiak said. “I also worked in catering for different catering venues, then I graduated and got the job here.” Masiak studied at Farleigh Dickinson University and majored in Social Studies.

Remarkably, Masiak also attended HHS as a student. “Since 1965, Hawthorne High School has been a part of my life except for the four years I spent in college.” He added “A lot of my teachers were still working in Hawthorne High School when I came back as a teacher, so they became my mentors, colleagues, and friends.”

In 2008, Masiak had a successful heart surgery and used his “sick days” for the first time. In addition to teaching in the social studies department, Masiak was also the Band Front Advisor/Associate Director for the Hawthorne High School marching band until 2008. He had also arranged the first marching band overnight out-of-state trip to Florida.

“I’m currently proud to be working with my former students like Matthew Ambrose, Jennifer Basilone, Kim Griffin, Josh Kabrel, Wyatt Harte, Gus Schell, and many more. I have also taught Board [of Education] member Alan Lombardi,” Masiak said.

Masiak has received several awards. He received an award from Congressman Bill Pascrell for his school and community involvement, two Governor awards for outstanding teaching, and an award from Passaic County Sheriff Jerry Speziale for dedication and service to the youth of Passaic County.

“I try to show some compassion and give daily affirmations to my students. I always infuse humor in my daily interactions,” Masiak said. “I feel my greatest attribute is my interest in the lives of my students outside the classroom.”