Alex Pedicone: A Pillar of Support

When district schools open in September, a pillar of support will be missing: Director of Special Programs, Alexander Pedicone, has retired after a distinguished and successful career.

Pedicone has walked the halls of Hawthorne schools since 1981 when he was hired as a school social worker, working in all five schools. In 1995, he moved into the administrative position of Director of Special Services where he remained for the next 18 years.

During his time in this position, Pedicone has transformed Hawthorne’s Special Services department into a widely admired, high–functioning program. New programs under Pedicone’s watch include the Pre-School ABA program, the Wrap-Around program with a school psychologist in Lincoln Middle School and Hawthorne High School, and the Life Skills program first in the high school then in the middle school and elementary schools. Pedicone also initiated the Public Special Education Committee which led to the reorganization of the elementary school L/LD classes, keeping children in the same school throughout their elementary school years. He also conducted seminars on “Comfort and Sensitivity” for the parents of special needs students at all levels of instruction.

The faculty, staff, administration, and students all wish Mr. Pedicone a well-deserved happy retirement.