• Ferry capsizes in Iraq's Tigris river killing 71.

• Death Toll Rises From Cyclone Idai As Rescuers Struggle to Reach Those Stranded.

• Lion Air Crash Families Say They Were Pressured to Sign No-Suit Deal.

Mr.DeFrances Interview

Crystal Rosario and Angelina Antonucci

The 2018-2019 school year has started and there are many new faces among the faculty here at Hawthorne High School. In the third of a series of articles, The Clarion is proud to introduce Mr. DeFrances who is an English teacher here at Hawthorne High School…

CLARION:  What made you want to become a teacher?

DeFrances:  I’ve wanted to be a teacher since my second semester at William Paterson University. I originally wanted to work in the field of Marine Biology, but changed my mind after a bad experience with a teacher. This lead me to favor my English class that I was taking at the time, and I begin to think about careers I could pursue in English.

CLARION: What do you like to do when you’re not teaching?

DeFrances: To anyone that has gotten a chance to know me the first thing they will find out about me is that I am a huge gamer. I love playing all kinds of video games, and have had almost every system from the time I was a kid to now. When I was younger I enjoyed playing instruments, such as the guitar and bass. But most of all back when I was in high school (and before I got injured) you would find me outside skateboarding with friends. I was never very good at tricks, but I did like the freedom of riding around town.

CLARION: Did you teach before? If so where?

DeFrances:   I have never truly been a teacher before this year; however, I did work at other schools in preparation for this position. I’ve worked in a Paterson school, and at Belleville High School as a substitute. I was lucky enough to have my student teaching for my last college class right here in Hawthorne High School, and once I graduated from college I was asked to come back to Hawthorne as a paraprofessional. So even though this is my first year teaching here, it’s really the start of my fourth full year here.

CLARION: Why did you choose this subject to teach?

DeFrances:  I chose English because I always felt that  I had a natural talent for reading into a text and having a better understanding of it than some of my other classmates. I enjoyed writing creative pieces, or stories from scratch, but I never pursued the writing end of English. I only took classes in college to further my knowledge on how to be a better writer.

CLARION:  What part of teaching are you looking forward to the most?

DeFrances: The part of teaching that I am looking forward to the most is working alongside my students. I am the happiest when I’m in a class and having a great discussion with students that are genuinely excited to be talking about a particular topic or idea. For me there is no better feeling than a happy class that wants to be talking, and not just to each other about things outside of school, but things we are working on.

CLARION: Why did you want to teach in this district?

DeFrances:  I wanted to teach in this district because this is where I did my student teaching. I know the staff here, and I know a majority of the student body. I feel like everyone here is very helpful and accepting, and I felt like I fit in with everyone in the high school right away. When it comes to my student teaching experience I had a great time, I had a very helpful and caring mentor, Mrs. Hackett, and I had some great students which graduated last year. This experience made me come to love this school and the people in it, so I could not see myself working anywhere else!

CLARION: What were you like as a student in school?

DeFrances: When I was a student I was a class clown. I am not afraid to admit that. My own English teacher, who grew to like me later in the school year, once told me, “I hope you have a student just like yourself so you can see what it’s like,” My response was immediate and I told her, “That’s never going to happen because I’ll never be a teacher.” I realize now that one of us was right, and it wasn’t me. I did eventually grow up as high school went on to be a bit more mature, but I always enjoyed having fun in class.

Angelina Antonucci, Staff Writer

Hi I'm Angelina Antonucci, staff writer for The Clarion here at Hawthorne High School. My favorite subject is Math. I'm looking forward to writing for...

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Nick Manzi: Mr. Congeniality 2019

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Mr. Hawthorne 2019 Recap

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Luke Kowalski: Mr. Hawthorne 2019

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

There Is More To The Word Hate

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Arts & Entertainment

A Breakdown of the 91st Oscars

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Sports

TJ Palmer Becomes Mr. 1,000

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Ecology Club T-Shirt Sale

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Hawthorne High School Shines a Light on Human Trafficking

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

Mr. Hawthorne 2019

• Mr.DeFrances Interview

And the Spring Musical Is….

Mr.DeFrances Interview