Interview with Mr. Harty

Interview with Mr. Harty

Natalya Batista, Staff Writer

Being a new student in school here at Hawthorne High School (or any school) can be very difficult. It can take time and a lot of work to “fit in”and finally feel like you are part of the team, so to speak.

This transitional process is not limited to students, as we know. New teachers often have to go through the same process.

This year at HHS there are a lot of new teachers and The Clarion was able to catch up with Mr. Colin Harty, History teacher extraordinaire, who was gracious enough to answer a few of our questions.

The Clarion: Good Afternoon, Mr Harty. I know this is your first year teaching here at Hawthorne High School. What made you decide to become a teacher?

Mr. Harty: I decided to become a teacher primarily because of my experience as a student and the influence of a few of my own teachers. I was a struggling student for the majority of my education up until college. I was never proficient in any subject, other than history, receiving high grades. The struggle I faced in school was mostly mental. Early on I was categorized with an IEP which required a lot of out of class instruction. I would get super self conscious every time I was pulled from class to practice reading and writing skills…Fortunately, I had an abundance of  teachers in high school, who encouraged me to put aside the stigma and give full effort in my work. 

The Clarion: How are you enjoying Hawthorne High School?

Mr. Harty: So far I am really enjoying my time teaching here at Hawthorne! As a first year teacher I will admit there are aspects of the job that take getting used to, but the environment at Hawthorne couldn’t be better. Many of the other teachers have been tremendously supportive and helpful in getting me acclimated into the new job. It has also been very rewarding to teach in the same town in which you live. I only recently moved to Hawthorne at the start of 2020…when the position became available and I received my first interview, I was ecstatic! 

The Clarion: What are your goals for this school year?

Mr.Harty: To get through it!! Hahaha this school year is going to be a bit hectic all the way through. However, in the hopes of expanding my own knowledge and offering more to the distinct, I have enrolled in college yet again. Three nights a week I am back at Ramapo College taking Psychology classes in the hopes that I can obtain my Psychology Certification. 

The Clarion: There’s covid going on and the school obviously has to take careful precautions…how do you think the school is handling it? Would you change anything?

Mr.Harty: So far I believe the school is doing an excellent job in taking precautions to tamper the spread of Covid. In my opinion, as long as everyone is diligent in school and properly wearing their masks, there isn’t much to worry about. As we continue on and it becomes more habitual I think it will present less and less problems.