Evan Ramos: Man on a Mission

He placed first in the Garfield Tournament and third in the District 6 Tournament as a freshman.  He then came back sophomore year and once again placed first in the Garfield Tournament, second in the Hawk Classic Tournament, bumped up from a third to a first in the District 6 Tournament, and made his way to a fourth place in the Region 2 Tournament.  As a junior, he has 65 wins and counting.  This wrestler is Evan Ramos.

Ramos hopes to achieve the goal that many wrestlers in the state of New Jersey only dream about.  “My goal is to make it to States,” Ramos said, referring to the New Jersey State Tournament.

He realizes if he is to ever achieve his goal, he will have to work on some things.  He stated, “I think I have to improve my skills more and get to that next level.  No one’s good enough; there’s always room for improvement.”

In order for Ramos to improve his skills, he knows he must work hard. Ramos said, “Basically, I just have to put more work in the practice room—learn more moves.”  In the off season, Ramos continues to wrestle; he puts in countless hours of practice at Renaissance Wrestling in Elmwood Park and continues to wrestle in tournaments throughout New Jersey.

Ramos has been wrestling since he was a child, but his love for the sport did not come right away.  It actually began not too long before he entered high school.  Ramos stated referring to his love for the sport, “It began in seventh grade because I started realizing I had potential and I could be good.  I just had to work at it.”

William Brown, the varsity heavy-weight for the Hawthorne Bears wrestling team, thinks very highly of Ramos’ abilities.  He stated,
“He’s a smart wrestler with phenomenal talent and a deep dedication to the sport.”

Bob Pasquale, the head coach of the Hawthorne Bears wrestling team, was quoted in The Record referring to both Evan and his brother Ethan, “In the 24 years I’ve been the head coach at Hawthorne, I can only think of three or four wrestlers who have their skill set.”

Despite Ramos’s athleticism, he is still undecided about where he wants to attend college.  The only thing that is certain is that wherever he goes, he wants to wrestle.