Successful Cheerleader: Nicole De Spirito

cheerleading-nicole-dHave you heard people say that if you love what you are doing, you will be successful? Nicole De Spirito, junior at Hawthorne High School, has been showing how true this saying is through her love of cheerleading.

In third grade, De Spirito began cheering with the Hawthorne Cubs. Once she entered high school, her years of experience  helped De Spirito make the varsity cheerleading squad. To date, De Spirito has received six varsity letters, and she still has her senior year to add another one.  During De Spirito’s freshman year, the varsity squad won the NJ state championship title. She said, “We were all excited to win New Jersey champions because we worked really hard for it and our work paid off.” Since the team won the grand prize, it was featured on the Cheering Life show on the MSG channel.  In addition, she and the HHS team have won many awards in the Eastern States Competition. They won overall pom- pon, dance, and cheer titles.

Not only has De Spirito been successful with cheerleading in high school, she also pursues her passion outside of school through the National Cheerleaders Association (NCA). With the NCA, she has been able to travel internationally and perform in some of the world’s most notable parades. In 2011, she was able to travel all the way to London to perform in the New Year’s Day Parade. Furthermore, De Spirito has danced at the biggest parade in America, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. She said, “It was a great experience. Although there were long and intense practices, I made new friends and got to be on TV and dance.”   

De Spirito has been coaching the Cubs cheerleaders for three years. She said, “From teaching dances I’ve gained a sense of leadership.

In college, De Spirito would like to continue cheerleading and study to be a dietitian. She also hopes she will someday become a NFL cheerleader and continue this sport that has had a great impact on her life.  “I have gained friendships and sisters,” said DeSpirito, “because we are all like a big family… and I’ve learned to respect people more.”