Senior Alexis Miele: Playing with Passion Despite Limitations

With the softball season underway, Hawthorne High School’s varsity second baseman and senior, Alexis Miele, attempts to have a successful start to the season despite an injury that has made her ability to play sports throughout her high school years difficult.

Miele discovered her injury during freshman year of high school. “During our first scrimmage for softball, I felt a pop in my leg, and it has affected me with sports since,” said Miele. Many doctors have diagnosed Miele with having Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD), damage to the nerves causing it to swell, bruise and bring pain. With the varsity softball season just starting, Miele’s goal is to be able to play 2nd base in a game; however with the current condition of her injury Miele will have to wait a while for her time to play.

Although softball is a big part of Miele’s life, she has also participated in the Hawthorne High School varsity tennis team. She joined the tennis team her junior year knowing she would not play softball that year, but wanted to participate in a sport.  Miele explained, “Tennis was definitely easier on my leg than softball, but the pain was still there. I joined the tennis team because I love sports and even if it was tough on my leg, I still would have played.”

Miele knows that she has limits she needs to follow when it comes to running and being active on her leg; she plans to stay within those limits. Miele stated, “It is my senior year and I hope I can get some playing time, but with my limits it may be hard.” Hawthorne High School Physical Trainer, Christopher Warner, is helping Miele get through the season with many exercises and stretches before each practice and game. Warner explained, “Even though there hasn’t been many improvements, Alexis has shown grit and determination.”

Miele has been playing softball since she was five years old and has always loved this sport, and hopes to continue to be able to play club sports, particularly softball, when she attends Richard Stockton College in the fall.