Freshman Katie Salisbury: A Rising Track Star

Typically, not much is expected of new freshman athletes entering Hawthorne High School. However, Kaitlin Salisbury has broken this common notion in her spring track career and has shown much potential for her next three years at Hawthorne High School.

Salisbury has collected 17 medals in her freshman track career alone at various county and statewide meets. On May 31, 2013, Salisbury, along with teammates Jenna Dyksen and Sherika Dyer, traveled to Egg Harbor, New Jersey to participate in the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athlete Association Championship meet.  Salisbury did not place in any events there, but she got to witness many talented athletes and see where she was headed later in her high school track career.

When Salisbury attended Lincoln Middle School, she participated in track in the seventh and eighth grade. There she did the 4×100 meter relay, the shot put, and 100-meter dash. This transferred into her high school track career. A normal event card for Salisbury in high school has four items on it, including the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash, the long jump, and one last event that is typically a mystery. She said this last event is usually some type of relay race. This season was the first time Salisbury participated in the long jump, and she credits the team for giving her the confidence to try new things. “I owe a lot to the team,” she said, adding that she looks up to many of her fellow teammates, including junior Jenna Dykson and freshman, and friend, Sherika Dyer.

Outside of track, Salisbury participates on several soccer teams, takes part in the school marching band, and excels in school. Her academic and athletic future at Hawthorne High School is looking bright.