Bowling at HHS

Although you may not hear a lot about the Hawthorne High School bowling team, it is not new to HHS. The sport has been a part of the athletic program for 35 years and is one of the 147 high school bowling teams in North Jersey. John LaForge, the head bowling coach, coaches both the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams.

“We have been very successful; we won a state sectional championship four years ago,” said John LaForge, coach of the bowling team.

The 2011 Varsity bowling team consists of senior Jeff Salisbury; juniors, Ian Cabello and Dan Chatten; sophomores Michael Ulrich and Richard Christensen; and freshman, Stephen Sutphin.

“I joined the bowling team because I wanted to do something for the high school during the winter season, and I’ve enjoyed playing since my freshman year,” Cabello said.

The 2011 Junior Varsity bowling team is made up of senior Danielle Fisher; juniors William Miller and Patrick Cymney; sophomores Samantha Contrini, Jessica Schoen and Robert Dutzar; and freshman Frankie Giglio.

“I decided to become a bowler because my parents were both Varsity bowlers in their high schools, and it is something I enjoy doing,” Contrini said.

“I decided to join because I really wanted to be part of a team,” Schoen said.

Both the HHS Varsity and Junior Varsity bowling teams are expected to do well, as always, for the rest of their current season.