Preseason Baseball

Baseball is a strong sport at Hawthorne High School. With the 2012 season in full swing, the Varsity team, led by Coach John Passero, looks to maintain that image. The team is striving for an even better season than last year with many returning starters as well as new talent.

Returning Varsity pitcher, Tommy Walls, is excited for this year. “We have a lot of Varsity experience at all levels and our pitching is getting better day by day,” Walls said. “All of that should help us have a great season.”

In his last year as a Bear, Ryan Hollis wants to go out with a bang. “We’re looking pretty good, and I always try to encourage the younger players in any way I can,” Hollis said. Hollis is an avid leader when it comes to the team.

Jimmy Contrini, another returning Varsity starter, also is confident in his teammates’ abilities. “Seven out of nine of our starters are coming back, and those empty spots are being filled with even better players,” Contrini said. “I am confident in our ball team.”

Having played a handful of scrimmages already, the boys are practicing their plays as a team and are still improving. In a recent poll on The Clarion, readers also showed confidence in the baseball team by voting it the team that will have the best season out of all the spring sports.

Starting Lineup

Eddy Kreiger- CF

Tommy Walls- Pitcher/ SS

Ricky Grofsick- 2B

Jimmy Contrini- 3B/ Pitcher

Mike Dittfield- SS/ 3B

Ryan O’Hea- RF

Ryan Hollis- Catcher

Steve Walls- 1B

Lorelbe Marte- DH