Joba Chamberlain’s Life of Bad Luck

Major League Baseball Player, Joba Chamberlain, cannot catch a break. Throughout his life, bad luck seems to follow him wherever he goes.

Born in September 1985, Chamberlain lived in Lincoln, Nebraska with his mother and father. His unfortunate luck began when he was only 18 months old and his parents split up. Chamberlain’s father suffered from a disease called polio, which is very rare. Because of this, Chamberlain was constantly in and out of the hospital visiting his father. On top of this, from the time Chamberlain was three, his mother, Jacqueline Standley, has been battling substance abuse. In 2010, Standley was arrested and sentenced to four years probation for selling drugs to an undercover police officer. Chamberlain and his sister were forced to endure a rough childhood.

After high school, things started to look up for Chamberlain when he began attending the University of Nebraska. Here, his athletic ability and talent as a baseball pitcher were discovered. In 2005, according to the University of Nebraska’s website Huskers.com, “Chamberlain turned in one of the most dominant pitching years in school history, going 10-2 with a 2.81 ERA in leading NU to the College World Series.”

At the age of 22, Chamberlain began pitching for the Yankees. Bob Klapisch, a columnist for the Record said, “Life’s curses were balanced out by that one precious gift, a right arm that could unleash 98-mph fastballs and a 92-mph slider.” Just as Chamberlain seemed to be heading in the right direction in his career, he tore a ligament in his right elbow last June. His injury required Tommy John surgery. After this incident, Chamberlain’s bad luck seemed to be heading his way, yet again.

Recovered and excited to be back on the field, Chamberlain was ready to have a great 2012 season with the Yankees. Then, while jumping on a trampoline with his son, Chamberlain dislocated his right ankle, popping the bone right out of his skin. After almost bleeding to death, Chamberlain will now have to undergo surgery and a long, painful recovery. As Dr. Michael Kaplan, ESPN’s medical analyst said on bleacherreport.com, “Joba will likely miss most of the season, as he can’t put any weight on the ankle for four-to-six weeks, and then a lengthy rehab program will have to begin afterwards.” This injury has squashed Chamberlain’s chances of not only playing in the 2012 season, but possibly for good.

Hearing about Chamberlain’s story, makes some wonder what Chamberlain did to deserve such back luck. All of his team members and fans are hoping that he will make a miraculous recovery. Although, one has to wonder, even if he does, will that be the end to Chamberlain’s bad luck?