Hawthorne Track

Spring’s here, birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, and the Hawthorne track team is heading into the 2012 season.  Boys and girls track, led by coaches, Gus Schell, John La Forge, Jason Patula, and Jayson La Vorne, have been practicing diligently for the past month.  With a lot of new freshman and a lot of key athletes, both track teams are looking good for the season.

William Brown, in his third year as a thrower, sees the potential in all the events. “In the past month, I’ve seen many runners, throwers, and jumpers improve their skills,” Brown said. “They can only get better.”

Gus Schell, one of the head coaches, has been encouraging the athletes to work harder and become the best they could be in their events. “There’s “got” people and there’s “get” people, you have to be “get” people,” Schell said. “You should have the attitude of “getting” to go to practice and not having to go to practice.”

As a new assistant head coach, Jayson La Vorne is excited to bring his experience into the program. “I love coaching and working with the youth,” La Vorne said. “I was in track not too long ago so I try to help and improve the athletes as much as I can.” La Vorne provides the runners and sprinter with various exercises and warm-ups with his seven year experience from Parisi Speed School.