Hawthorne Sundevils Have Great Season

The Hawthorne Sundevils senior hockey team had a great season this year; they once again made it to the championship.

This year’s championship was a rematch from last year’s championship against Carlstadt.  Hawthorne went into the weekend hoping for a repeat of last year when they won, but unfortunately came up short. Although Hawthorne was given the 2nd seed while Carlstadt was given the 1st seed, Hawthorne had beaten Carlstadt in the regular season, and with the way the Sundevils had been playing, it seemed very likely they would beat Carlstadt again. Unfortunately though, Hawthorne lost to Carlstadt twice in the championship.  They lost the first game 2-0, and they lost the second game in overtime 3-2.

Tyler Conlon, defense man for the Hawthorne Sundevils, although disappointed, felt the team had a good season.  Conlon stated, “We were expecting a good season, and we had one, but we wanted more than to just play in the championship.  We wanted to win.”

The Hawthorne Sundevils are a recreational roller hockey team in Hawthorne.  The team allows kids from Hawthorne and other towns that don’t offer roller hockey to play for Hawthorne.  Although the team is not connected to Hawthorne High School, the rink the team uses is located right next to the baseball and football fields used by the high school teams.  The team pays for equipment using money from the fee each player has to pay to join the team.  The Hawthorne Sundevils team includes the midget, junior, and senior age groups.

The senior age group ranges from 15 to 18 years old.  Ed Costello is the head coach for the Hawthorne Sundevils senior team.   HHS students who play for the senior Sundevils include Alex Tolomeo (goalie), Ronald Schimmenti (center), Kyle Kacmarcik (center), Ian Cabello (defense man), Tyler Conlon (defense man), and Mitch Noordeloos (defense man).