2013-2014 Varsity Bowling Wrap Up

The Hawthorne High School varsity bowling team had an amazing 2013-2014 season. Under the coaching of John LaForge, the varsity team finished with a record of 13-3.

The varsity bowling team had many praise-worthy accomplishments this season. This included a fourth-place finish in the Passaic County Tournament. Also, the varsity team finished second in the North 1B Sectional, losing only to Pompton Lakes. This second place finish qualified them for the state tournament on February 27, 2014.

When the team went to the states they ended up finishing 9th of the 10 teams in their division.

For the first time this year, the HHS bowling team introduced a girls’ team, which was also successful at the Passaic County Tournament finishing 2nd behind Wayne Valley.

With their success as a team, HHS bowling also had some individuals players stand out. Freshmen Madison Perry took home awards for Highest Game by a female with a 179, Highest Female Average in Passaic County, and Highest Female Average at Sectionals, also known as the Colonial.

Perry said, “Hard work paid off! I never thought I would get to the level I’m at so quickly and to know that it has just begun is blowing my mind.”

Mike Ulrich, HHS senior, also took home an award for Highest Game in the NJIC Colonial with a 289. Ulrich commented on the season saying, “As soon as we worked together as a team, I knew we were going to have another good year.”

Junior Katrina Plaszky and freshmen Nick Hauser were also praised by LaForge for a job well done when filling in for absent varsity players.

The end of the season means that the bowling team waves goodbye to senior players Ulrich, Richie Christensen, Jess Schoen, Robert Dutzar, and Sam Contrini. Contrini said, “These four years have been full of unforgettable experiences, and I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to share them with.”

LaForge is hopeful for another successful season next year with three returning varsity players and a team that has shown great progression.