Basketball Season Wrap-Up

Hawthorne High School’s girls and boys varsity basketball games have come to their close, leaving another season to the record books.

The success of the HHS girls varsity basketball team, with a record of 11-0-4, is rooted in a close bond that got stronger over the season. As Mallory Noordeloos, a senior at HHS and varsity basketball player, said, “I absolutely love all my teammates. The starting five were very close this year especially.”

The team began with strong determination and effort, working hard and playing smart, according to Sam Tolomeo, another senior and varsity member.

Since their first victory over Eastern Christian, the girls practiced often and long, and the hard work paid off. The girls varsity team concluded their successful season by earning a spot in both County and State games, something they haven’t done in years.

The HHS boys varsity basketball team also played hard this season. However, losing 10 varsity players from last year proved too difficult to overcome. Despite putting forth a solid effort, the team ended the season with a 5-0-17 record.

According to Ryan McMann, the boys’ JV coach who worked closely with both teams, the players did a great job picking themselves up from losses and continuing on to the next game. Compared to last year, as McMann said: “I think our record this season was very similar to last season’s [6-0-13], and that’s a positive reflection on the boys and their dedication.”

The basketball teams have been working hard to achieve more, and they continue to do so, season after season.