Football Mid-Season Review

The Hawthorne Bears varsity football team is currently in the middle of its season, where most players are settling to their positions, learning their plays, and “getting into the groove” of playing every Friday or Saturday to the best of their ability.

Assistant Coach Paul Wojciechowski watches each game from the broadcasting booth and witnesses every aspect of every play throughout the season. When asked what he thinks of the team at this point, Wojciechowski said, “I think at this point we are better conditioned, our offense is starting to click, and defensively, our schemes are beginning to work.”

When questioned about which players have shown the most improvement on the team, he replied, “I think Jake Aguero has been doing a great job. Matt Knepper made a recent move to defensive tackle and has been a standout player from there. Liam Morrissey is always an excellent defensive end. Luke Burkart and Teddy Wagner are great overall team leaders, and Mike Dietrich is a great defensive leader.”

One new comer to Hawthorne High School, Ryan Vanderwerth, shared his thoughts about playing as a Hawthorne Bear, saying, “I’m just as nervous as I would be playing in any game for any team. Knowing Hawthorne’s history, I take it as a challenge to put Hawthorne High-School on top of the division.”

Looking forward to the final weeks of the 2014 season, Coach “Woj” replied, “We always tell the kids to play one week at a time, but if we keep working to the potential that I know we have, great things are going to happen.”