Boys Soccer Falls in State Tournament but Rises in Our Hearts

Hawthorne High School’s boys varsity soccer team ended its season on Monday, November 10, 2014; the team lost 2-1 in the North 1 Group 1 state tournament against Waldwick High School.

Waldwick scored the first goal late in the first half leading to a 1-0 score at halftime. HHS boys came out stronger the second half and senior Brandon Cruz was able to draw a penalty kick in the first five minutes of the half. Cruz scored on the penalty kick and most of the second half was played with a 1-1 score.

It was the 67th minute of the game when a Waldwick forward put a goal in the net past senior starting keeper, Frankie Giglio, making the score 2-1, Waldwick took the lead. Giglio played a strong game otherwise, making eight magnificent saves throughout the duration of the game. Despite being down by a goal with little time left, the Hawthorne players left it all on the field; they played the game to the best of their abilities until the final whistle.

The varsity team ended its season with a 14-5 record. The team had a great run this season all the way to the semi-finals of the state tournament. Junior midfielder, Ariton Minimi, commented on the season saying, “It was a pleasure playing with all these boys. This has been one of the best seasons of my life, and I will never forget it. I love all my teammates.”

Everyone at HHS is proud of this team and Coach McMann and congratulates them on a terrific year.