Pre-Season: HHS Indoor Track

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

Head coach Gus Schell and assistant coach Jayson La Vorne hope to have yet another successful season for the Hawthorne High School indoor track team. This year the team will compete in 12 meets at various complexes such as Ocean Breeze Indoor Track Complex, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Armory Tracks, and John Bennett Indoor Athletic Complex. Captains this season include all of the seniors.

Head coach Gus Schell is excited for the large number of athletes who went out for indoor track this season. At the same time, he believes this is the most challenging part of the season. He explains, “The hardest part will be figuring out how to work everyone together and managing the different levels of experience,” and later added, “…we break up the athletes by events, but still keep the idea of being one team.”

He plans on preparing the large team by getting outside, hitting the weight room, or running around inside the school if the weather is not permitting. Also he plans on keeping the excitement of the team up and “creating a buzz.”

Schell says, “So far the attitude has been great.” Finally, the coach explains that in track “running is not a punishment” and the sport is one where you compete against yourself. He hopes the team continues to grow and stays excited.

Assistant coach Jayson La Vorne is ready to take on the “grueling season.” To prepare for the winter season and the harsh aspects it beholds, the track team will work out stronger and do everything faster.

La Vorne says, “Drills will be run over and over to master techniques.” He also thanked Mr. Bertollo for the updated weight room, that is playing an essential role in preparation for the season. Not only is the physical condition of the team being looked at, so is the mental.

The assistant coach explains, “Our mindset has changed. It has gone from let’s get into good shape for the spring, to let’s go out there and compete and win some championships.”

Captain Brandon Parker is excited to see what the team will accomplish this year. He says, “We have a very talented group coming back from last year and I’m excited to see what we can do.” Parker plans on leading the team as any other year: with a roaring voice, positive attitude, encouragement, and hard work. Also, the captain has been preparing by working out and getting physically and mentally strong. The senior runner hopes to come back with confidence and power from an eye injury that ended his season early last year. Along with the rest of the team, Parker also plans on beating out the frigid temperatures and focusing on the encouragement of his coaches. “Coach Schell gives us a daily motivational message/speech which I personally love and Coach Lavorne doesn’t put up with slacking off and not working hard,” praises Parker. When all is said and done, the captain wishes for a great season and much success.

The track schedule is posted on the school website. Best of luck this season!