• In weaker-than-expected jobs report, US economy added 155,000 jobs in November.

• Hostages die in foiled Brazil bank robberies.

• State trooper sidelined for defending police brutality.

Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Paul Valentin and Jesus Lozano

On Oct. 30 the Hawthorne girls’ soccer team played against Hasbrouck Heights in the first round of states. The game started around 2 p.m. as the entire Hawthorne High School student body and faculty had the privilege to go and support. Hawthorne ultimately beat Hasbrouck Heights 4-0. 

Heather Bertollo contributed 1 goal, and Briana Andreoli scored the rest of the goals. The goalkeeper Gabriella Del Valle had six saves for Hawthorne as well. Due to the team’s victory the soccer team played again on Nov. 1.

The Bears again played at home due to their high seeding and faced the Pompton Lakes Cardinals. Heather Bertollo started the scoring for the Bears as she booted in the first goal. Soon after, her teammate Alejandra Castillo scored the game’s second goal. The Cardinals responded by scoring a goal of their own but Hawthorne quickly answered. Freshmen Briana Andreoli scored the final two goals of the night. The final score was 4-1 as the Bears took home another victory.

Goalie Gabriella Del Valle had 5 saves throughout the game as the defense played exceptionally well, keeping the Cardinals far from their goal for a majority of the game. Briana Andreoli had two assists as well and Heather Bertollo had one.

The next game the girls played was on Nov. 7 against the Mountain Lakes Lakers. The stands were full of energy as the Bears and Lakers went back and forth scoring multiple goals. Heather Bertollo, Alejandra Castillo, Briana Andreoli, and Ruby Conroy each added a goal of their own, as Gabriella Del Valle had 14 saves. The game went into overtime, but ultimately Hawthorne won 4-3.

With a win against Mountain Lakes, the girls’ soccer team headed to the Sectional North 1, Group 1 Finals. The Bears competed against Midland Park, playing their first game in the tournament not on their home field. It was an early morning game, but both teams came to play an with great intensity and excitement.

With two goals for the Midland Park Panthers and two goals for the Bears at the end of regulation, kicked in by freshmen Ruby Conroy and Briana Andreoli, the teams headed into overtime. Both 15 minute overtime sessions ended without a goal from either team and therefore resulted in penalty kicks. Unfortunately, the Bears were defeated in penalty kicks, 4-2 but nonetheless played an outstanding game. A large population of Bears fans were at the game and were sure to support the girls’ team!

We congratulate the team on all their victories and an amazing season!

Paul Valentin, Staff Writer

My name is Paul Valentin. I am a junior and this is my second time in Journalism class. I am from a family of eight, with three sisters and two brothers....

Jesus Lozano, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Jesus. I'm currently a junior at HHS and this is my first year of Journalism. I participate in both indoor and outdoor track and I'm excited...

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Student Profiles

Senior Spotlight: Timothy Palmer

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Student Profiles

Senior Spotlight: Emma Mathews

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Justice For Jones: Why #BlackLivesMatter

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Three Must Have Recipes for Thanksgiving

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Wall of Respect

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

The New HHS Track

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

HHS Welcomes New Principal Mr.Cunningham

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Student Profiles

Senior Drum Major: Brian Reilly

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

2018-19 Hawthorne Bears Football Preview

• Girl’s Soccer State Tournament

Clips For Carter: The Jandoli Edition

Girl’s Soccer State Tournament