Fall Sports Wrap Up

Getty Images/iStockphoto

athlete’s foots close-up on autumn walk in nature outdoors. healthy lifestyle and sport concepts.

Ethan Dunn, Staff Writer

On Friday, November 12, the Bear’s fall sports season came to an end. The girls soccer team fought a hard battle against Mountain Lakes in the state sectional final, but fell short in the penalty kicks. Girls soccer was the last remaining sport in the Bear’s fall season. 

The girls volleyball team ended 13-12 this season led by seniors Karolyn Moro and Sydney Reicher. Moro finished the season with 134 kills bringing her total career kills to 240. Sydney Reicher finished the season with 253 assists, the most on the team and ending her high school career with 406 total assists.

Boys soccer ended 8-12 this season with huge wins over Glen Rock, Pompton Lakes, and Rutherford. The Bears made it to the quarter finals of the Passaic County tournament where they were beaten by Wayne Valley. The team’s top scorer was George Gantalis with 6 goals, he also finished as the top assister with 5. Senior goalkeeper Bennett Megnin made 88 saves and finished his high school career with 289 total saves. 

Bears football finished 7-2 this season with big wins over Becton, Glen Rock, and Pompton Lakes. The Bears offense was led by Troy Eckert, Jayden Shwed, and Ashton Navarette. Troy Eckert finished with 763 passing yards in his first season back from an elbow injury that left him out his junior year. Jayden Shwed finished with 1,022 rushing yards bringing his career total to 1,420 yards. Ashton Navarette finished with 264 receiving yards and 351 rushing yards.

The Bears defense was led by Eddy O’hagan, Andrew Morzetta, and Michael Palmer. Eddy O’Hagan had 74 total tackles this season. Andrew Morzetta finished with 9 sacks and 67 total tackles. Michael Palmer finished this season with 4 interceptions and 41 tackles; on the offensive side of the ball Palmer had 243 receiving yards. The Bears ended their season with a first round defeat to Jefferson in the NJIC tournament. 

Girls soccer ended their season 18-3 with big wins over Glen Rock, Wayne Valley, and Kittatinny. The girls won their 2nd league championship in a row with a 7-1 win over Rutherford. The team was led by Ruby Conroy, Bri Andreoli, and Sydney Hansen. Ruby Conroy scored 20 goals and assisted 12. Bri Andreoli scored 36 goals and finished her high school career with 113 total goals. Sydney Hansen scored 14 goals and assisted 13 in her sophomore season.

Goalkeeper Gabby Del Valle recorded 11 clean sheets this season and made 88 saves this season ending her high school career with a total 256 saves. The girls made it to the semifinal round of the Passaic County tournament where they fell to Wayne Hills 2-1 at PCTI. They made it all the way to the state sectional championship where they took on Mountain Lakes but lost in a hard fought battle which took a penalty shootout to decide.

Another year of fall sports has come to an end here at Hawthorne High School. Now it is time for the winter sports to begin. 

All stats and scores courtesy of NJ.com