Grass vs Turf: The NFL

Danxoneil
Grass or Turf?

Out of 30 NFL stadiums, 15 use natural grass, while the other 15 use different types of synthetic turf.

There has been recent data and studies that have come to light about injuries on grass and turf and which surface is safer.  Just this past weekend, Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins tore his right achilles in the Vikings game against the Packers.

The surface being played on during that game was turf. Another instance of this injury occurring on turf was in the week 1 game between the Jets and the Bills. Jets star quarterback Aaron Rodgers tore his achilles on the first drive of the game at MetLife Stadium. Both of these injuries appear to be season-ending for these players.

However, there are also instances of this injury happening on grass fields. In the Ravens week 1 win against the Texans, Ravens running back JK Dobbins tore his achilles. The stadium just implemented fresh grass in the offseason. This proves that these catastrophic injuries aren’t subject to only turf fields.

However, players around the NFL are open about how they prefer to play on grass and how it is much safer. The likelihood of lower body injuries is lower when playing on natural grass fields. This has led to the NFLPA (National Football League Players Association) to call for all 30 NFL stadiums to implement grass fields for less risk of injury for players.

Angel Clemente, Staff Writer
Hi, my name is Angel Clemente and I'm a junior at HHS. This is my first year taking journalism and writing for the Clarion. I am excited to enlighten the students and staff of this school by writing articles. I play basketball and baseball for the school and I love music.