Things To Expect Your Freshman Year: The Girls HHS Varsity Soccer Team

A Mom
HHS Girls Soccer

There is no doubt that being a freshman varsity athlete comes with its challenges. Being a freshman on the girls HHS soccer varsity team has shown me a lot. Showing effort in every little thing you do causes a big impact on what your coaches may think of you. If you come into the season with a negative mindset thinking that you won’t play because others are better than you, this mindset will not get you anywhere.

Being a freshman and coming to the highschool team with a set position that you may have had on another team, may not be your position for high school soccer. Coaches don’t change your position to make you upset, they do what is best for yourself and the team. Helping your team out is very important in the game and they may need to rely on you and your position in the game.

If you are on the bench during the game, you should always cheer for your teammates, no matter if you are winning or losing. Not only does cheering for your teammates make the game more fun and interesting, but it motivates your teammates on the field. This motivation that they hear may help take away a negative mindset that they may have.

Coaches are always watching. Whether you are with your teammates or on the field, they are always watching. It’s very important to display a positive attitude. If you display a negative attitude they may think badly of you and think that you don’t want to be at the practice or game. For example, if your coach asks for a favor and maybe you don’t want to do it, do it anyway. When doing it, do not show that you don’t want to do it either.

Conflicts are very common during the season. If you can’t make practice because you have a doctor’s appointment, you need to get a note. Doctor appointment excuses get used a lot, but if you have a note, coaches will believe you actually have an appointment. If you know a day in advance that you will not be able to be at practice, try telling your coaches. This makes it easier for your coaches so they know to disclude you in plans that may happen in the game or at practice.

Lastly, being a freshman comes with a lot of responsibilities. It is the freshman’s job to take the equipment there and back to the field. Bringing the equipment to the field is very important because this includes soccer balls, pinnies, and the med kit, everything you need for a game or practice. Filling up the water jug is very important (and mandatory) because you never know if you or your teammates will need water. 

Overall, there are a lot of responsibilities and challenges that come with being a freshman on the varsity team.  

About the Contributor
Lauren Iannacone, Staff Writer
Hi! I'm Lauren, a staff writer and freshman here at Hawthorne High School. I hope to contribute many articles to the Clarion, as a first time writer for the school newspaper. I play softball and soccer and enjoy spending time with my friends and listening to music. I hope my articles spark your interest!