HHS Bears Softball Team Mid-Season Review

I think we all would have signed up for the Lady Bears softball team in the beginning of the season to be 17-3 (as of May 16)! As a player on the team and a writer for the Clarion, I wanted to share some information about the team and get you an insight from the captains!

The team made it to the Quarterfinal Round of the Passaic County tournament against DePaul. Hawthorne is currently ranked in 4 place in North Jersey, Section 1, Group 1 and 2nd place in the NJIC Colonial Division with a percentile of .850 and a total of 408 power points. Pretty good right?! (All of this information was updated on May 16.)

First, I think it’s important for everyone to understand the team’s bond. After our winter workouts every Sunday morning, every other week the team would put in an effort and try to get together for a team breakfast. Whether we were tired from having to wake up early or and even the workout, we still always had fun. Now that regular practices and games have started, we still try to make time to have team dinners!

Balancing out school and softball can often be challenging at times. Since it’s the end of the year, so far players on the team have had to take the NJSLA (state testing), AP tests, and soon everyone will have to take EMPA’s (End of Marking Period Assessment). On top of this, we can have a lot of homework depending on the class. Although we get back from the field at around 5:30 or even around 6:30 from games, time goes by very fast when you get home. Every once in a while, I will lose track of time and end up going to bed later than I’d usually like. Let’s also not forget that some players on the team(s) (jv and varsity) have jobs.

The Clarion asked captain/senior Nicolette Sasso, “What does it mean to be a captain?” She responded back with, “Being a captain is a rewarding, but also challenging task. We are required to lead the team, but also be a part of it. Often, in the heat of a game, it is easy to get frustrated with each other as teammates, but as a captain it is our job to lift the team’s spirits and make sure everyone is trying their hardest. There is a fine line between leading a team and controlling a team, one which can determine the entire team’s dynamic. For me, I always try my best to keep the team positive while also making sure they keep their heads in the game.”

Furthermore, we asked captain/senior Ava Maccone, “Do you think practicing everyday has a positive effect on the team?’ She answered, “In my opinion, practicing every day is beneficial for the team. It helps us form a team dynamic and it also helps us get in a good routine. Working together every day also helps our fielders get comfortable working with each other and helps us in real game situations. Even though I think that practicing everyday is important, I also think it is crucial to have a day off once in a while. Doing the same thing every day can be draining mentally and physically so it is also important to take care of yourself and teammates during the season.”

These questions couldn’t have been answered better. Being a captain comes with lots of roles and struggles especially when there is both a jv and varsity team. We would not be the team we are without our positive and passionate captains!

About the Contributor
Lauren Iannacone, Staff Writer
Hi! I'm Lauren, a staff writer and freshman here at Hawthorne High School. I hope to contribute many articles to the Clarion, as a first time writer for the school newspaper. I play softball and soccer and enjoy spending time with my friends and listening to music. I hope my articles spark your interest!