The New York Knicks: Offseason

RMTip21
The Knicks Offseason Begins

In light of the New York Knicks being eliminated from the 2024 NBA Playoffs, a new era has dawned upon us, the offseason. The Knicks have a lot of decisions to make with multiple key players becoming free agents. These free agents include OG Anunoby, Isaiah Hartenstein, Precious Achiuwa, Alec Burks, and Jericho Sims.

Of these free agents, OG Anunoby is the only one with a player option. He can opt in, stay with the Knicks for one more year, and make $19.9 million dollars. However, he can also opt out and test the waters in free agency, potentially searching for a max deal.

The Knicks are also facing a lot of pressure from the media about the status on All-star forward Julius Randle. Randle is coming off of a 24/9/5 campaign which was cut short due to a freak shoulder injury. He has since had multiple surgeries and is attempting to come back stronger than ever. Some experts believe that the Knicks could put Randle in a trade package to get a star like Kevin Durant or Mikal Bridges. Another option that the knicks have is to sign Paul George in free agency if OG Anunoby doesn’t return to the big apple.

With Anunoby and Randle being the top priorities, another bright spot for the Knicks this year, Isaiah Hartenstein, is also a target. Hartenstein elevated his game to a higher level this past season, averaging a career high in rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. As well as developing his workload on the offensive glass, he has become a huge facilitator for the Knicks in the high post. He has also obtained a new floater/push shot that is almost automatic.

After extending contracts for Josh Hart and Donte Divincenzo, the next Villanova alum on the Knicks looking for an extension is Jalen Brunson. He can re-sign this year, for a payout of $170,000,000. However, he can use his player option next offseason to become a free agent. With the love of the Knicks organization and their fans towards Jalen Brunson, it is unlikely that he will accept a contract from another team. He is eligible for a max contract, consisting of five years, and approximately $270,000,000. That’s a $100 million dollar increase.

The future for the Knicks is exciting, but it all starts this summer with the decisions of the front office.

Angel Clemente, Staff Writer
Hi, my name is Angel Clemente and I'm a junior at HHS. This is my first year taking journalism and writing for the Clarion. I am excited to enlighten the students and staff of this school by writing articles. I play basketball and baseball for the school and I love music.