Girls Soccer: Best in Years

The girls soccer team is at the top with a 4-2-2 record–the best performance it has had in several years.

According to the team coach Gustav Schell, the players are predominantly seniors who are “showing great leadership to the underclassmen.” Schell stated that the girls are playing in diverse positions on the field and that “this year, the team is like a family.”

Senior Samantha Tolomeo said, “We work really hard all the time.” She also added that the girls get along very well “which is really rare. We spend time together and I think it is going to be a great year.”

Junior Taylor Conroy told the Clarion: “On Friday, we played Glen Rock and went into double overtime [final score 0-0] which has only happened five times in the past twenty years. Our team is really united this year and ready to win.”

When asked about the Glen Rock game, senior Giovanna Motta, answered “I think that is a big deal since Coach Schell said we haven’t tied with them since the 90s. So I hope that’s a sign that this year is going to be great.”

The win against Pompton Lakes on October 2 proves once again how strong the girls are this year. Junior Kaylee Mercurio stated, “I am so proud of our team for being so awesome this year. We are hard workers, and it really pays off.”

“I’m going to quote coach” concluded Conroy. “This year ‘the star of the team is the team’.”