Alum Jake Koningswood: Design Engineer

After graduation in 2008, Hawthorne High School alum, Jake Koningswood, began to pursue his career as a design engineer. Koningswood attended Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.  While in his senior year of college, he became very proactive about finding a full-time job after graduation. After attending several career fairs and interviews, he was hired as a design engineer for the largest producer in the diesel engine business, Cummins Power Products, in New Hudson, Michigan.

Since his start at Cummins Power Products in June 2012, Koningswood has been enjoying his job as a design engineer. “My job mainly focuses on 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD), which uses state-of-the-art computer software to help me design mechanical and electrical systems for large diesel engines,” said Koningswood. “We produce something called a power-unit, which is used in the commercial/industrial world to power machinery and vehicles.” He said many of the applications for the power units his company creates include cranes, trains, construction equipment, wood chippers, crop harvesters, tractors oil rings, and drilling machines.

Koningswood is very thankful for his years spent in Hawthorne High School. He appreciates all of Hawthorne High School’s teachers and staff who made his educational career as great as it was. Koningswood said, “It’s always interesting looking at where I am today and then rewinding to my days in Hawthorne High School and all of Hawthorne’s public schools. I wouldn’t change a thing about my educational career, and Hawthorne High School really helped to enhance my experience. One of the things that helped me the most in my high school years was the support from the incredible teachers and staff.”

Being a Student Coordinator at the admissions office at Boston University also helped Koningswood learn a great deal about public education. To give advice to current HHS students, Koningswood said, “For those of you who are juniors or seniors and feel pressured or scared about all the things that lie ahead… don’t be! It’s the most exciting time of your life, and you should be going through this adventure with optimism and your best foot forward. Enjoy it!”