Susan Komar: A Loss For Us All

It was with much sadness that the Hawthorne School District students, teachers, and administrators learned of the passing of fifth grade, Washington School teacher, Susan Teresa Komar on January 27, 2013.

Komar was a beloved teacher for more than 20 years. Along with her teaching, she also coached volleyball and basketball at Hawthorne High School throughout much of her career.

The life lessons that Komar taught will not be forgotten and will help her students throughout their lives. Theresa DiGeronimo, Library Media Specialist at Hawthorne High School, had two of her three children attend Washington Elementary School, and she says that both were very fortunate to have Komar (at that time, Ms. Agnes) as their fifth grade teacher. “They both enjoyed their year with her [Mrs. Komar], but at the same time, they both were challenged to be in her class. Both felt that they really had to work hard to meet her standards and are now strong writers.” DiGeronimo goes on to describe how Komar pushed her students so that they would reach their full potential.

“I personally feel that her loss is a loss for all of us,” adds DiGeronimo. “All future students now won’t have the benefit of her particular style of teaching, and her particular emphasis on writing with correct grammar.”

Komar was the first teacher that HHS senior Nathalie Costavalo had when moving to Hawthorne from New York. “When I first had got there, it took me a while to get used to all the kids, and she really helped me. She always used to encourage me and make me feel better and get along with others.”

Many high school students who had Komar back in fifth grade feel the same way. “She is my favorite teacher,” says junior Olivia Meier. “She always took the time to help all her students. I stayed after school almost every day to get extra help from her. She really cared about all her students.”

Susan Komar was an invaluable part of the Hawthorne School District and will be greatly missed.