Hawthorne School Board Elections

Hawthorne residents will be voting for in the school elections on April 16, 2013, at their local polling sites. This upcoming annual school election will ask voters to select new Board of Education (BOE) members and vote on the school budget.

According to the Hawthorne Press, the candidates running for three of the three-year seats include Lou Turco, Bruce Reicher, Alex Clajivo, Domenick Gianaspro and Glen Hartung.

Turco used to be a BOE president and he contributed to passing the referendum that repaired the schools and upgraded technology.

Reicher is a director of technology in a Bergen County school system and is on the school board technology committee. He also served a one-year term on the BOE.

Clajivo is new to the BOE; however, he has a child in Washington School and often goes to the BOE meetings.

Gianspro has been serving the local school board for 12 years and is the head of the finance committee.

Although Glen Hartung’s name will be on the ballot, he is asking voters not to choose him. He tried to withdraw his name; however, he had missed the deadline.

The two candidates going for a one year seat are Kevin Duffy and Diego Cruz. Duffy has already been a member of the board for two years. Cruz was a candidate in the election last year and was chosen to fill a vacated seat in August, 2012.

In addition to voting for board members, voters will also vote on the school budget. The 2013-2014 school budget is $37 million, which is within the 2 percent cap. The school board decided not to add a second referendum question this year.