Cel-Earth-Bration

Trey Miller modeling the official Cel-Earth-Bration t-shirt.

Hawthorne celebrated the annual day of Cel-Earth-Bration on April 20,2013 at the high school. This celebration helps provide awareness towards the environment for citizens of all ages.

In addition to the desire to eat some delicious “dirt” cake, the community went to the celebration to learn about ways to improve the world.  Stands were set up both inside and outside the high school where items and information about the environment were given out.  There are also games themed around environmental awareness set up where prizes could be won to bring in a younger crowd as well.  T-shirts, pencils, and flyers were given out for free.

Seniors Nathalie and Cristel Costavalo spent the day at Cel-Earth-Bration.  Nathalie found the experience not only fun but also very educational.  Cristel, an aspiring artist, actually created the t-shirt design used for the event.  “The shirt has a tree on it with roots at the bottom because everything is connected to each other.  It represents how close we are to the world in which we live in.  We are a part of the environment.”  The Costavalo sisters claimed to have had another fantastic time this year celebrating our earth.

The AP Environmental Science class from HHS was heavily involved in the event as well.  These students spent the day before preparing the famous dirt cake.  Dirt cake is basically pudding and Oreos mashed up together and served in an ice-cream cone.  Senior Alexis Miele assured me that the class members washed their hands twice before making the dirt cake.

This celebration takes place every year and is always a success.  Although the world around us is constantly changing, it is good to see one thing remains the same: Hawthorne’s dedication to the environment.